If you'd prefer the latter, then join the VUC conf call at 12 noon US Eastern on Friday, April 29, for a lengthy dive into all things XMPP. (XMPP being the "Extensible Messaging and Presence Protocol" originally known as the Jabber protocol.)
- What is XMPP/Jabber
- How does one do telephony with XMPP
- How does XMPP/Jingle compare to SIP and (why) is it better.
- Who supports it
- Facebook and their XMPP gateway
- Google Talk
- Nimbuzz – one of the biggest VoIP providers using XMPP as their primary protocol
- NAT traversal
- How does one do it with XMPP
- Again, how is this part different from what we have with SIP
- Media relaying with TURN and Jingle Nodes
I am a big fan of XMPP on the IM/messaging side so I'm very much looking forward to this conversation.
You can join the live call via SIP, Skype or the regular old PSTN. There is also an IRC backchannel that gets heavy usage during the call. It will be recorded so you can always listen later.
If you found this post interesting or useful, please consider either: