More Skype outage coverage... (cue "It's the End of the World As We Know It!")
August 16, 2007
Somewhat predictably, the blogosphere is going nuts about the Skype outage. It's currently at the top of Techmeme. As Tris Hussey notes in his post, Skype has indeed become a key communication tool for many individuals and businesses. Other VoIP bloggers offering commentary:
- Om Malik: "Does Skype Outage Expose P2P's Limitations?"
- Tom Keating: "Skype Outage" - wonders if it had to do with the Microsoft updates (I would think not because the outage happened to me prior to me installing the updates)
- Andy Abramson: "Skype Suffers Major Outage" - helpfully points people to Gizmo and SightSpeed as alternatives
The Register, of course, chimed in with their normal attitude. Ars Technica, meanwhile, commented that the outage was surprising mostly because of ""how often it doesn't happen". Taking another view, Mashable is reporting that eBay's stock has dipped this morning.
Meanwhile, Skype users around the world consider what other IM programs to use and some of them will, maybe, just maybe, have to actually pick up a phone today!
If you found this post interesting or useful, please consider either:
- following me on Mastodon;
- following me on Twitter;
- following me on SoundCloud;
- subscribing to my email newsletter; or
- subscribing to the RSS feed